Wednesday 14 March 2012

Reduce Reuse Recycle Refashion

My life has been completely taken over by work. March is always my busiest time of the year with my big deadline at the end of the month. The entire yearbook must be done and edited and ready to turn over to the publishing company. Stress...it creeps into my dreams. I spend hours on Adobe InDesign every day and then dream about it every night. Therefore, I have no time to do the things I truly enjoy.

                                                                        Source: themotherhuddle.com via Jessica on Pinterest

                                                                             Source: re-nest.com via Jessica on Pinterest

While I was working last night, I watched a film called No Impact Man, brought home to me by my husband who teaches and lives environmental science. It's about a family in New York who lives with no impact on the environment for a year. This includes a vegetarian diet of local food, no electricity, no material consumption, just to name a few of the many changes they made in their life. I didn't think twice about the environment (or even once to be honest) until I met my husband and now things like compost and recycling are a natural part of my daily life. I even spent some time on a permaculture farm, although I couldn't work much because I was newly pregnant at the time.

                                                                          Source: Uploaded by user via Jessica on Pinterest

Anyway, after watching this film, I've been contemplating all day what more I can do. I know I can do more. Can I go without electricity? I don't think so. But I can reduce, reuse, recycle in other ways. I'm still brainstorming some ideas and have to have some serious thought before I commit to any of them. In the meantime, I enjoyed taking a break from work and browsing Pinterest for some cute, clever, and creative ways to reuse, recycle, and refashion! 

make a Zipper Pouch from a coffee bag
make a Hot Plate & Coasters from wine corks

make Vegetable Bags from t-shirts
make a Pencil Holder from a cheese grater

make Boy Shorts from a man's shirt
make a Dress from a pillowcase


10 comments:

  1. All of these are wonderful ideas...and make me think of spring all while staying GREEN...you are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it's pretty amazing how many ideas are out there...and I love that spring is just around the corner.

      Delete
  2. Jessica,
    What a great post!..Very inspiring. I am just starting to use a pair of pants from Dad and a pair from Joel to make something for Canaan.
    Hope the rest of your week goes well.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! I'll send you Canaan's measurements tomorrow. Can't wait to see what you're making. :-)

      Delete
  3. Jessica,
    I have nominated you for an award.....go to my blog and see!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely images Jessica - inspiring! Hope March flies! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! I hope it does, too. Looking good so far...and I may even have a little bit of free time next week if there aren't any hiccups along the way. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ahh I love everything! Especially the first dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...