Thursday 31 May 2012

Knitting . . . or not!

It's the last day of May. Sad. That means my birthday month is over. Sad. And I think our gorgeous summer weather might be coming to an end. Sad. I'm not really sad, though. I'll be going to California in two weeks and that makes me very happy! As well as a visit from an old friend. Sewing my little boy's Jubilee trousers also lights up my day. So, that's the end of May. :-)

...I realized it was almost the end of May a few days ago and remembered that I was supposed to learn how to knit this month! Yikes! That was Tuesday, May 29th. I had just a couple days left to achieve the first goal that I set (here) when I participated in Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. Fortunately, I had bought supplies weeks ago, but they weren't what I had originally planned. At the yarn shop, I was so overwhelmed trying to find the right kind of yarn to match the pattern I had intended to make. I ended up just grabbing a Fab Big skein by Patons. It came with a free pattern (the one pictured). It looked easy enough.

Gotta love Photobooth. Check out those bags under my eyes.
In between helping the girls in the dorm with their work and making sure they were all where they were supposed to be, I watched a couple videos on knittinghelp.com. I was ready to cast on! 

So proud (dorky smile...and my even sleepier eyes)
 I did it! (as my 2 1/2 year old would say). The next step was to knit one, yarn over, purl one, yarn over, and so on. I totally read the pattern wrong, though, and knit an entire row, then purled an entire row. Of course I didn't realize this until I just sat down tonight to work on my knitting some more. In the last half hour, I've started over four times!! I need a break, so I'm writing about it. Ugh.

Fish-eyed and temporarily defeated.
I think I'll hem my husband's trousers that have been sitting in the "to-do" pile for the last two years. That sounds much more appealing at the moment. But, don't worry...I haven't given up on knitting! I know new things aren't always easy the first time trying and I'll try...try again until I figure it out!

♥!♥ knitting ♥! 


4 comments:

  1. Hang in there - you'll be addicted before you know it! If all else fails - I could teach you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll be addicted...that would mean I figured it out. I'll let you know if I need some help. :-)

      Delete
  2. Jessica, I just laughed at this posting......Soooo sorry about this knitting 'experience"....at least Chris's pants got hemmed. That also made me laugh remembering all of Dad's pants that waited 1-2 years to be hemmed. I would tell him it was like getting a new pair of pants. Loved your pictures!!!!!...and love you, Mom
    As Bob the Builder says''''Can we do it.....YES we can!!!...hope that encourages you:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you laugh! Thanks for Bob the Builder's encouraging words. They have made such a difference! ;-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...