Tuesday 18 September 2012

Pinned It & Did It: Braided Scarf

My braided scarf...

Braided scarf I pinned...

                                                                    Source: nettevivante.blogspot.co.uk via Jessica on Pinterest


I absolutely loved this braided scarf when I came across it and pinned it immediately. I love the color and the style.


I've been on the lookout for some great fabric to make this scarf, but haven't had any luck (slim pickings where I am). However, I did have a few stained, ill-fitting shirts stored away to make something on a rainy (or sunny) day. I thought I'd use them to make something for my little girl or guy. Instead, I made something for me! Wow...I can hardly believe it. I made something from my actual "things to make for me" pinterest board that has been more of a place to dream than a place where dreams come true. When was the last time I made something for me??? Maybe this hat. That was a while ago.


Nette describes how much fabric she used here and gives some sort of instructions here. I had to do some fiddling since I used a shirt instead of purchased fabric. My adjustments included adding two seams in order to make long enough strips to braid. I used lace like Nette, but wrapped it around all the lengths in two spots instead of one so that all my stitches would be hidden. 


Another difference was the type of fabric: mine was cotton and hers was viscose. The cotton worked well, but doesn't seem as full as hers. Next time I'd try to make my unbraided length wider but couldn't here because I was limited to the amount of fabric in my shirt.


Overall, this was a success! Hooray! It was easy to make, I got to reuse a lonely shirt, and I now have a new cute scarf to add a little bit excitement to a plain shirt any day!



I'm linking up to these fabulous parties!

I'd love for you to follow my pinterest board.
”Follow


9 comments:

  1. I want one! I will have to attempt to make one sometime soon, I am really getting into fall scarves right now. And way to go you for making something for yourself AND recycling old shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I have seen these but have not attempted any yet. However, tomorrow is clean out the closet day! I am sure to find some tees to recycle!

    Saw your link on Sew Much Ado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, Just BEAUTIFUL!!!...Wow...a great present for your sister and sister-in law who both love to make scarves. How about making one in red as a raffle prize for the ornament party?....that would be fantastic.
    You seem to have more time then me to create....how come?.......:):):)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! Love it!

    Hugs from Portugal
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica!
    Just dropped by to say you won our planner for this week. Just send me your snail mail address so i can send it off to you. patsy.paterno (at) gmail.com from
    HeARTworks and
    papemelroti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this - soooo European - beautiful job!
    Visiting from Bloom
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend. I'll be featuring this idea later today! Please come grab a featured button and come back tomorrow to link up anything new you'd like to share at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so pretty in this scarf!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...