Wednesday 12 September 2012

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

How to make salsa verde...

You may have read about our weekly veg box delivery here or here. We get a box of vegetables every week from Riverford Organic Farms. It's full of delicious freshness - so fresh that there's even an occasional slug on the lettuce. Recently, they have had a special kit for salsa verde. I was hesitant to order it at first because I love good Mexican food and good salsa, which are both hard to find in England. Their availability has improved over the last 7 years that I've lived here, but I have to travel to London and pay too much money for one good taco. I'd rather make it at home. I had great doubts that a tomatillo salsa kit in England would give me tasty salsa verde. THEN...I got to taste it in Riverford's stall at the Egham Royal Show. How pleased I was to taste it and love it. I ordered the kit as soon as I could, made it as soon as I could, and ate half of it in one sitting!


The sad part is that I won't be able to order it for much longer, so I made sure to get three kits in this week's box. I made two of them today which resulted in a large batch of homemade salsa verde. If you can get your hands on some tomatillos, I highly recommend making your own salsa verde by following Riverford's recipe below with (or without) my one modification. The first time I made it, it was super spicy (which I loved) but the one below is less spicy which allows me to eat more of it. I hope you enjoy my way of savoring the salsa with the steps recorded here.


Ingredients for Salsa Verde
400g tomatillos, husks removed & rinsed well
1 small red onion, finely diced
1/2 to 1 chilli
20g fresh coriander
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon brown sugar
sea salt



Step 1: Mix diced onion, lime juice, zest, and brown sugar. Let it sit in a bowl for 30 minutes.
(A shallow bowl is recommended, but mine were dirty and a not-so-shallow bowl worked well, too.)


Step 2: Pulse tomatillos and chillies in a food processor.
(I don't have a food processor but the blender worked fine.)


Step 3: Mince the garlic. Chop the coriander. Add a pinch of salt.


Step 4: When the 30 minutes have ended, stir all the ingredients together.


Step 5: Enjoy your homemade salsa verde with a chip...


Then again, enjoy your homemade salsa verde with another chip...


Yum!



Update:
I've linked up to these fabulous parties!

4 comments:

  1. I've never used tomatillos but this looks amazing!

    I'm hosting my first linky party - would love for you to join in:

    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekend-warmth.html

    Thanks,
    Bobi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Yummy. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sooo yummy! My hubby loves ANYTHING tomatillo.. bugs me to make stuff with it ALL the time! Can't wait to make this for him!
    Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...