Sunday 11 November 2012

Pinned It & Did It: Homemade Play Dough

It's getting darker earlier now, so it felt like dinner time, but we had a couple hours to kill before our actual dinner time. Making our own play dough was the perfect solution to my kids' boredom.

My Play Dough...

Play Dough I pinned...

                                               Source: favoritesandthings.blogspot.co.uk via Jessica on Pinterest


The play dough is a fairly new pin and I didn't expect to use it so soon after pinning, but it was the perfect activity to do with my kids yesterday afternoon. And I'm happy to say with very slight modifications to the original recipe, it was a total pinned it & did it success!

The original recipe is on Favorites and Things. I can't remember how I came across it originally, but her play dough recipe post has a few recipes for play dough and other types of modeling clay. I'm sure I'll try some of her other recipes on another dark and dreary afternoon. For now, I'll share how we made ours with the small modifications. 

What you need:

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 tbsp oil
1 cup water 
food coloring (optional)
glitter (optional)
(the original recipe used 3/4 cup water)


Step 1: Mix flour and salt
Step 2: Add food coloring to the water.
Step 3: Gradually add oil and water to the dry mix.
(add more water to make the dough stickier OR more flour to make the dough less sticky)
Step 4: Add glitter and mix and squish until it's all mixed in.
Step 5: Play with your homemade play dough.


My kids had fun mixing the water and oil in with their hands. Squishy! We were low on colours so we only used yellow. The play dough was not very colourful from the yellow. 


This inspired us to make it more exciting with glitter! We love sparkly glitter! The best part of sparkly play dough is that the glitter stays in the play dough. 


Roll it...squish it...mold it. Make a snail and show your little girl how to make a snail. It's great fun for the kids and great therapy for me.




3 comments:

  1. wow...how fun!!! SO nice you did not have to let it "set" before using it! Sure like the idea of the gitter. Pull on it a lot and squeeze it to make those arm muscles strong. (I learned that from Henry's kindergarten teacher). Love, Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - so far none of my "pin projects" have turned out this well. I'm visiting your from Sumo's Sweet Stuff Linky Party. I am your newest follower on GFC and would love if you could come visit me too at http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo cute! Your lovies snail is adorable.. and what little lady doesn't love glitter?
    We just love homemade playdough.. my kids love getting to choose which colors to make!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...